With spring around the corner, it’s time to get down and dirty. So grab a mop and go room-by-room with our easy to navigate checklist. To make this epic list more manageable, divvy up the chores over a couple of weekends, then put down the broom and cheers to your clean house.
- Tune up the garbage disposal. Run sliced lemons and ice cubes through the disposal to clean and freshen it.
- Sanitize wastebaskets. Give the cans a good scrub and disinfect them after taking out the trash.
- Sweep and mop behind the fridge and stove. Don’t forget to vacuum up the dust that accumulates in the refrigerator condenser coils.
- Deep clean the inside of the fridge and freezer. Toss any expired food or condiments.
- Toss expired dry goods in the pantry, including spices. Whole ones are past their prime after three years; ground spices only last for about one year.
- Clean kitchen cabinets and drawers. Wipe down interiors to clear away dust and crumbs, then clean cabinet fronts, knobs and drawer pulls.
- Clean the range hood and wash the metal filter—most can go right in the dishwasher.
- Clean the oven. Use a plastic scraper to remove baked-on spills, then run the clean cycle.
- Clean the microwave, toaster oven and other small appliances.
- Run the empty dishwasher to clean out any residue.
- Clean curtains and drapes. Take washable curtains out of the dryer while still damp to help prevent wrinkles.
- Give upholstered furniture a deep cleaning. Vacuum thoroughly and spot treat any stains.
- Deep clean wall-to-wall carpeting and area rugs if needed. Move area rugs and vacuum beneath them.
- Vacuum behind heavy furniture and other hard-to-reach places.
- Dust ceiling fans and the top surfaces of tall furniture.
- Dust moldings, baseboards and window and door frames.
- Clean light fixtures and lamp shades.
- Clean vanity cabinets inside and out.
- Throw away rarely used or expired toiletries.
- Deep clean your tub and shower.
- Clean dirty grout and seal it to prevent new mildew stains.
- Re-caulk the tub if needed.
- Wash or replace your shower curtain and liner.
- Dust ceiling, vents and exhaust fan.
- Clean out and organize the medicine cabinet. Safely dispose of expired prescription drugs.
- Wash all bedding, mattress pads, bed skirts and pillows.
- Vacuum and rotate mattress. Twice a year, flip it end-to-end too (unless you have a pillow-top mattress).
- Vacuum under the bed and behind furniture.
- Dust all surfaces, including sides and bases of furniture.
- Change batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house.
- Swap winter and spring wardrobes. Designate piles for dry cleaning, repair and donation.
- Clean doorknobs and switch plates.
- Dust or wipe down blinds.
Outside the House
Dust or wipe down blinds.
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts.
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Pressure wash the siding if needed.
- Tune up the lawn mower and sharpen any garden tools with dull blades.
- Sweep and hose down the garage floor.
- Hose down or pressure wash the deck or patio, and seal it if needed.
- Wash and detail cars.
- Clean outdoor furniture and cushions.
See More: Cleaning & Organizing , Checklists , Decor Trends , Decor Tricks