Terrified of making a mistake during the renovation process? Here are a few steps you can take to avoid any mishaps.
- If you can’t hire an architect, draw out the whole project to scale on graph paper.
- Remember that old adage “measure twice, cut once?” Follow it.
- Make sure any contractor, electrician, or plumber you hire is licensed.
- Get lots of references for every vendor you’re considering hiring, and actually call them. Ask how long the project was projected to take...and how long it actually took. (Good contractors want to finish jobs quickly.)
- Demand that you receive insurance certificates on which you are named as an additional insured party from all your vendors.
Nestpert: Kevin Lichten, AIA is a founder and principal of LichtenCraig.com, a New York architecture and design firm.
See More: Decor Trends , Decor Tricks , How to , Style Solutions