Want to create a comfy cottage-style home (even if you live in the city)? Just follow these simple steps:
- Choose a nautical color palette of blues and whites.
- Look for wicker, rattan, or metal garden furniture -- we’re talking yard sale items with chipping paint. Think: the most relaxing sun porch ever (no porch or sun necessary).
- Get upholstered furniture slipcovered in casual white cotton duck fabric. It’s washable and will give even formal pieces a laid-back, casual look.
- Rocking chairs, rocking chairs, rocking chairs. Every cottage needs a few.
- Go for a rustic pine or reclaimed wood table, and consider a maple butcher block countertop for the kitchen.
- Feel like painting the floors? Go for it. Then lay down sisal and braided rugs on top.
Nestpert: Minnesota designer Jay Nuhring, author of the blog "Loving What You Have".
See More: Decor Trends , Decor Tricks , How to , Style Solutions