The key to going modern is editing yourself wherever you can and going for the most minimal look possible –- here, less really is more. Keep it simple with these easy tips:
1. Think of your lighting as simply for the sake of light -- find lamps that emphasize the light and not the lamp itself. Look for an understated, minimal wall or table lamp.
2. Select furnishings with clean lines and minimal ornamentation.
3. Keep your window coverings clean and fresh -- nothing fussy or ornamented. A clean perforated shade or a simple crisp white structured fabric in a straight panel is perfect.
4. Avoid really textured carpeting and look for a very flat and tightly woven sisal or commercial-grade carpet.
5. Choose a palette of complex neutrals (that means tones that have a lot of depth, but are at the same time not really colors). Look from white to gray to brown and everything in between, and definitely use a singular wall color throughout the room.
6. There’s the obvious black and white photography, but if you have a favorite piece of art that’s more traditional or colorful, frame it in a clean, cool wood or metal frame and voila! Modern!
Nestpert: Minnesota designer Jay Nuhring, author of the blog "Loving What You Have."
See More: How to , Decor Tricks , Style Solutions