This sweet treat can help boost energy—and give you an endorphin rush that’s similar to how you feel when you’re in love.
Try it in: Dark Chocolate Mousse
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
6 oz/170 g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup/120 ml espresso or strong-brewed coffee
2/3 cup/165 ml heavy (whipping)/double cream
Fresh strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries for garnish (optional)
Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
1. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow. Stir in the chocolate and espresso until well mixed.
3. In another bowl, with the mixer set on high speed, whip the cream with a wire whip or beater until it forms stiff peaks. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold it into the chocolate mixture.
4. In a clean, dry bowl beat the egg whites at high speed with a clean dry whisk or clean beaters until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold into the chocolate mousse, taking care to incorporate the whites thoroughly.
5. Spoon the mousse into a large serving bowl or individual dessert bowls, ramekins, or goblets. Refrigerator until well chilled, at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Serve garnished with berries and extra whipped cream, if desired.
Photo: Wine Bites Cookbook / Kate Mathis