7 Things in Your Home That Can Kill You

Find out what potentially deadly things are lurking in your home

house plant

next >

1 of 7


While you’re not likely to have poison hemlock or deadly nightshade as a houseplant, many people unknowingly keep potentially toxic plants in their home. While these plants are perfectly safe sitting on a windowsill, they can be poisonous (and possibly deadly) when ingested, especially by a pet or small child. Here are some houseplants that are known to be toxic:

Bird of Paradise
Creeping Charlie (ground ivy)
Crown of thorns
Ivy (English, needlepoint and ripple)

While it’s probably safe to assume your husband won’t be chewing on the houseplants, you never know with young children -- keep all poisonous plants out of the home when your kids are young!

Photo: Shutterstock / The Nest